Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Charity/NGO donations up to 2019

I realized that I have never kept track of charitable donations of any kind over the years. I don't consider myself especially philanthropic, but I also try to donate at least a few times a year. I generally donate "small" sums to a few organizations that inspire me that given year, but a trend has included carbon offsets.

----

Before 2017
I sponsored two children for roughly 3 years (1 in the US, 1 in the Phillippines) via Save the Children

2017
2x 20,000 airline miles CO2 offset at Carbonfund.org ($76 total)
$50 SPLC
$50 ACLU
2 EUR Wikimedia

2018
2x 20,000 airline miles CO2 offset at Carbonfund.org ($76 total)
350 HRK (roughly 50 EUR) SOS Children’s Village Croatia
$50 ICAN (for the 1000 day action fund)

2019
$50 Ploughshares Fund
$50 Union of Concerned Scientists
$50 Arms Control Association
$50 Global Zero
10 EUR Wikimedia
$50 Freedom from Religion Foundation
40,000 airline miles CO2 offset at Carbonfund.org ($80)
$25 OSA Foundation

----

Some thoughts:
-based on some examples of the SPLC making outrageous claims (especially against Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz), I don't consider them a good place to donate anymore.
-Some carbon offsets were for me and my wife, hence x2.
-I want to look in to doing carbon offsets with other organizations to try to "diversify".
-In 2019 I went on a bit of a nonproliferation streak, which will probably continue.
-This isn't meant to shame anyone who can't afford to donate, and isn't meant to garner praise. I just think we should be more open about how and where and why we donate, and try to keep track of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment